Delicious Drumstick And Potato Curry | Munga Aloo Recipe
Drumstick is a very flavorsome vegetable, it is used in several dishes in Indian Cuisine. The most popular dishes prepared with drumstick is Sambar. Drumstick or Murunga has a special place in South Indian cuisine. It is added to Sambar and in Coconut based curries too.
In northern India Drumstick is called Munga / Sehjan ki fali. The most popular dish made with Munga in northern India is Drumstick and Potato Curry. This is a gravy prepared in onion and tomato base with spices. The north Indian counterpart of Sambar is “Dal Munga” i.e drumsticks prepared in yellow lentils with tempering of aromatics and spices.
In summer raw mangoes are added in the ‘Drumstick Dal Recipe’.
The Drumstick curry can be relished with Fulka or boiled Rice.
How to choose good drumsticks for cooking?
Tender drumsticks taste better as compared to thicker ones.
For making sambar you must take thicker drumsticks and cut them into small pieces of about 2.5″
For making curry pick drumsticks that are thin (not too thin) and tender.
If the drumstick seems hollow from inside don’t take it, as it is very likely to be dried up from inside and it will taste like a piece of wooden stick.
Drumstick And Potato Curry Recipe | Indian Style Gravy
This is the most basic and probably the easiest drumstick curry recipe. the spices are basic and the ingredients are Indian pantry favorites. So if you have grabbed some fresh drumsticks, you can just hit the kitchen for making this scrumptious Munga Aaloo gravy.
Potatoes 2 Large sized
Onions medium sized 3
Ginger Garlic Paste 4 tablespoons
Tomatoes 2 large sized
Green Chillies 2
Turmeric Powder 1 tsp
Red Chilly Powder 2 tsp
Coriander Powder 2 tsp
Cumin Powder 1 tsp
Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala Powder 1 tsp
Oil 4 tbsp
Salt According to taste
Preparations Before Cooking drumstick and Potato
Peel and wash the drumsticks, cut into small pieces of 3 inches
Peel, wash and dice the potatoes
Wash and chop the Tomatoes
Grind the Onions to make paste
Method Step by Step
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add cumin seed let them crackle
- Add the onion paste and saute till golden brown
- When the onion are nicely fried add ginger garlic paste
- Stir and cook till the raw flavor of Ginger and Garlic is gone
- Bung in the powdered spices (turmeric, cumin, coriander, red chilly, garam masala and salt)
- Fry the spices for a minute and then put the chopped tomatoes
- Stir nicely and add half a cup of water
- Cover and allow to cook for 5 minutes in medium flame
- After 5 minutes the masala should separate from the oil and tomatoes should become soft and mix with the masala. If you feel the masala is still not cooked very well, cover and cook for some more time.
- Once the masala base of the curry is ready, bung in the drumsticks and potatoes
- saute the drumsticks and potatoes with the spice base till the oil separated and the moisture is gone
- Finally add 4 cups of water ad stir well
- Cover and cook in low heat for 20-25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes check the potatoes with a form. If they break your curry is ready.
- Garnish with fresh Cilantro
Serve this delectable Spicy Drumstick and Potato Curry with simple boiled rice and poppadom.