Bharwa Mirchi Fry With Besan Stuffing (Stuffed Green Chillies) Bharli Mirchi
Besan Wali Bharwan Mirchi Fry Recipe will add a zing to your platter, it is mildly spicy chilly stuffed with a stuffing prepared with gram flour (besan), desiccated coconut and spices. The stuffed chillies are shallow fried and enjoyed with Dal-Rice and chapati. Indian cuisine has a variety of stuffed vegetables. Bharwan / Bharwa means stuffed, the vegeatables are stuffed with different stuffing and fried. We have bharwa Karela, Bharwa Parval, Bharwa Baigan and ofcourse bharwa Mirchi, the list goes on.
For making stuffed green chillies we use thick variety of green chilly which is mildly hot. There are several recipes for making Bharwa Mirchi, each recipe will differ in ingredients used for preparing the stuffing. Three of my personal favorite recipes are Achari Bharwan Mirch, Peanut Stuffed Green Chilly (Maharashtrian style Bharleli Mirchi) and Besan Wali Bharwan Mirchi.
Bhavnagri Chillies are the best choice for making stuffed chilly peppers. These Chillies are juicy and mildly hot, when you fry the chillies they become soft and succulent. If you wish to make this in a cast iron pan, make sure it is seasoned well else you will end up with excessively oily chillies. You can use any thick bottomed pan or a nonstick pan to make this Bharwa Mirchi. This can be prepared in Microwave also.
How To Make Bharwa Mirchi Fry
Here is a step by step method of making Bharli Mirchi
Step 1 : Prepare the Chillies
As any other vegetable this also requires to be washed first, wash the chillies very well and pat dry. Then the chillies are slit lengthwise so that you create a room for stuffing. Leave some space on both the ends while slitting so that the chillies don’t open while frying. Remove the seeds from the chillies,
Step 2: Prepare the Stuffing
Stuffing should be cooked well. You also need to make sure that the stuffing is seasoned well. No matter how long you fry your chillies, the stuffing does not cook after being stuffed in the chillies. Thus you need to cook the stuffing nicely before you stuff it into the chillies.
Step 3 : Stuff the Chillies
This is a very important step, you need to be very careful while stuffing the chillies . If you happen to tear the chilly while stuffing, the chillies will open as you fry them and the stuffing will come out of the chillies. Which is something we need to avoid whice making stuffed vegetables.
Step 4 : Fry the Stuffed Green Chillies
Take a flat and thick bottomed pan to fry the stuffed chillies. This will prevent the stuffing from coming out and will ensure even cooking for all the chillies. We do not need too much oil for frying the chillies. Just add enough oil to shallow fry the Stuffed peppers. Cover the pan while frying the chillies and keep the stove on medium heat. Flip the chicllies and cook all the sides till the thin skin of the chilly becomes visible,
Step 5 : Gobble Gobble Gobble
Bharwa Mirchi is a spicy side dish that is called Bharleli Mirchi in Maharashtra, Bharla Marcha in Gujrat and Bharwan Mirchi is Hindi.
- Bhavnagri Chilly : 8-10
- Besan (Gram Flour) : 5 tablespoons
- Descicated Coconut ( sookha nariyal): 1 heaped tablespoon
- Mustard Seeds (Rai) : 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Seed (Jeera) : 1/4 tsp
- Asafoeteda (hing): A pinch
- Kashmiri Chilly Powder or Paprika : 1/4 tsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste : 1tsp
- Turmeric Powder : 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder : 1/2 tsp
- Lemon Juice 1 tsp
- Salt : According to taste
- Oil 1 1/2 tbsp for stuffing and 4-5 tbsp for frying
- Wash the chilly peppers and dry them
- Slit the chillies lengthwise leaving some space on both ends
- Take 1 tsp oil in a pan and add the Gram Flour and roast it very well
- Dry roast the desiccated coconut
- Take 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan
- Add Mustard seeds and cumin seeds, let them crackle
- Add pinch of Asafoetida (hing)
- Add Ginger Garlic paste and fry
- Now add in the Turmeric powder, Coriander Powder and Kashmiri red Chilly Powder
- Finally add the roasted Gram Flour and desiccated coconut
- Add salt and cook the stuffing for 3-4 minutes (or till everything is cooked well)
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool down
- Once the mixture has cooled down add the Lemon Juice and mix it
- Take the Slit peppers and carefully stuff them with the mixture. Make sure you do not tear the chilly
- Add 4-5 tbsp cooking oil (I use Rice Bran Oil) in a pan, place the chillies on the pan, spirnkle some salt and put the lid on
- Shallow fry the chillies for about 3-4 minutes on each side
- Fry until the chillies change color and the thin skin of the chilliy becomes visible.
Mouth Watering Bharwa Mirchi is ready, serve with Roti, Bhakri or Rice.
Latest posts by Karishma Schneider (see all)
- Bharwa Mirchi Fry With Besan Stuffing (Stuffed Green Chillies) Bharli Mirchi - August 29, 2019
- Rohu Fish Masala Recipe | How To Make Rohu Masala With Curd - August 26, 2019
- Easy Chicken Curry Recipe For Beginners / Bachelors Indian Style - June 13, 2019