Raw Mango Dal With Drumstick | Khatti Dal
The only reason I love summer is Mango. In Indian cuisine Mangoes are used in several dishes where raw mango is used as a condiment in dishes, ripe mango is enjoyed as a fruit and in a variety of desserts.
The most popular dishes made with raw Mangoes are Mango Chutney, Aam Ka Panna, Mango Dal and of-course Mango pickle which is a staple in every Indian home.
Khatti dal (i.e sour lentils) is made using several souring agents like tamarind, mango powder (Amchoor) and Tomatoes but when it is summer it has to be aam wali khatti dal (Lentils Cooked with Raw Mangoes).
About the Recipe
This recipe is my own version of Mango dal and I love to add Drumsticks to my Dal. To make this Mango dal I first Cook the Toor Dal with some salt, Turmeric and Raw Mango. Then I prepare the tadka(tempering) in a seperate pan using the spices and Drumsticks. Cooked dal is added to the tadka and Simmered for 5-7 minutes. This raw mango and drumstick dal is best enjoyed with boiled or steamed rice.
Toor Dal 1 Cup
Raw Mango Chopped 1 small sized
Turmeric 1 tsp
Salt according to taste
Onion 1 Medium Sized
Curry Leaves 1 sprig
Tomato 1 Medium Sized
Garlic 5-6 pods – peeled and finely chopped
Drumsticks 4-5 sticks cut into pieces (about 3-4 inch long)
Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
Red Chilly Powder 1 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies 2
Coriander Powder 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds 1/2 tsp
Salt acc to taste
Green Coriander to garnish
How To Make Raw Mango Dal With Drumstick
- Wash the dal and put it in the pressure cooker
- Add 2 cups of water, turmeric powder, chopped raw mango and salt
- Pressure cook till 2-3 whistles, depending on the time required by your pressure cooker to cook the dal.
Step 2 – Prepare the Tadka For Dal
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add the Mustard Seeds and Cumin seed and let them splutter
- Add curry leaves
- Put the garlic and fry till it becomes light brown
- Add thinly sliced onion, fry till onions become brown
- Put the chopped Tomatoes and powdered spices i.e Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Red Chilly powder and Salt
- Stir well, and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add the Drumsticks and 1/2 cup of water
- Stir well and cover.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until the Drumsticks are cooked.
- Once the drumsticks are cooked and all the water dries up, the oil will separate from the masala.
- Finally add the cooked dal (arhar ki dal) to the tadka.
- If you feel the dal is too thick you can add little water at this stage to adjust the consistency
- Cover and simmer in low heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and Garnish with freshly chopped green cilantro (hara dhaniya)
Serve hot with plain boiled rice and fried papad.
Latest posts by Karishma Schneider (see all)
- Easy Chicken Curry Recipe For Beginners / Bachelors Indian Style - June 13, 2019
- Fish Egg Bhurji Recipe | Indian Style Scrambled Fish Egg Recipe - June 14, 2018
- Dahi Wale Aloo Recipe | Potatoes in Curd Gravy / Dahi Ke Aloo - April 14, 2018